The Mystery in the Meat is the tenth episode of the ninth season of Bones.
The Jeffersonian team investigates the murder of a food scientist whose remains were tossed in a meat grinder and mixed into cans of stew served in a school cafeteria. When the team uncovers the scientist's newest - and highly lucrative - food invention, they begin to track the trail of jealous competitors in the multi-million dollar food industry. Meanwhile, Angela plans a post-wedding bachelorette party for Brennan and it gets crazier than intended.
The Scene of the Crime: A high school bully confiscates a bowl of beef stew in the cafeteria, but when he takes a bite, he finds a human tooth. Another spoonful provides an eyeball. “IT’S PEOPLE!” he shouts, and “ewwwwwwwww” we all reply, some more delightfully than others.
Booth, Brennan, and Cam arrive to the high school and quickly ascertain that the human remains are split up into several cans of beef stew. B&B follow up at the processing plant, where the research and development director, Susan, tells them they’ve collected the remaining cans of stew from the batch. They are shipped to the Jeffersonian.
The Victim: Howard Compton, a food scientist who worked at the company that provided the cans of stew. He was killed and then thrown into the meat processor…and then canned.
- Susan, the R&D employee — Because of Howard’s great success with food products, he is poised to swoop in and get a promotion in Susan’s department. She admits she and Howard didn’t get along, but insists that she didn’t kill him.
- Howard’s research peer — Booth and Brennan question her in the lab. She has an acute sense of smell and basically pinpoints Howard’s death from Brennan’s presence. She is rational and lacks frivolity of any kind. She posits that Howard was working on something much bigger and got killed over it.
- Howard’s boss — Sweets questions him, particularly on whether or not Susan is a likely suspect. He says she’s more than likely innocent.
- Raymond McCants — a creative food supplier who sent Howard threatening emails when Howard fell behind on some deadlines. His “Hot Bacon” edible lubrication was to be a big success.
- Evelyn Cheevers — a local chemical-free farm representative. She admits to slashing Howard’s tires and being somewhat aggressive with him, but she insists she didn’t kill him.
The Case Progression:
Booth and Caroline question Susan and suggest motive, but her alibi checks out.
In the lab, Oliver finds some partial remodeling on the finger injuries and Sweets and Booth discuss how Howard thought he was being followed. The attacks seemed to intensify. Strong emails, then slashed tires, then physical assault/death. Sweets brings Raymond in for questioning. He insists that he didn’t kill Howard.
Daisy and Oliver find a stabbing mark on the clavicle, and Brennan later identifies the weapon as a meat injector.
Hodgins finds some flower particles in the slashed tire, and the serrations on the cut lead Angela to suggest a Japanese garden knife. When two bank accounts in Howard’s name point to Evelyn and she has the garden knives for sale, she quickly moves up the suspect list. She tells Booth and Caroline that Howard was funding her research, but that he couldn’t quit his job because (in his words) there was someone he had to expose from the inside. He wouldn’t tell her who it was, considering it safer if she didn’t know.
Booth then speaks with Howard’s lab associate. She insists she would never do something so rash as commit murder and suggests that he figure out who might do that.
At the lab, Angela, Wells and Daisy show Brennan a recreation of the death, leading Brennan to realise the murderer would have been drenched in blood. She also points out a piece of horse bone in the skeletal remains — the canned stew was made of horse and human. Howard knew it was happening and threatened to sue the company.
Booth and Brennan bring the company executive back in for questioning and accuse him of selling horse meat to schools. He says it was a quality issue. Booth shows him records of him working with a meat plant in Mexico. The boss said they sold beef, but Brennan points out that they only sold horse meat. They have a warrant to check his hair, and when Brennan sheds her light on it, there are traces of blood spattering.
Main Cast Edit
- Temperance Brennan - Emily Deschanel
- Seeley Booth - David Boreanaz
- Jack Hodgins - T.J Thyne
- Angela Montenegro - Michaela Conlin
- Camille Saroyan - Tamara Taylor
- Lance Sweets - John Francis Daley
Intern(s) of the WeekEdit
Guest Cast Edit
- Patricia Belcher as Caroline Julian
- John Posey as Sam Gilford
- Alyson Reed as Susan Lauderbach
- Jen Drohan as Agatha Blume
- Lesley Aletter as Biker's Girlfriend
- Rizwan Manji as Raymond McCants
- Paul Zies as Biker
- Jodi Harris as Evelyn Cheevers
- Conor Patrick Brown as Trevor Fowley
- Kenny Ridwan as Brandon Heller
- Donna Pieroni as Lunch Lady
Featured Music Edit
- "Find My Way" by Max Boogie Overdrive