Inspired by legendary basketball coach Phil Jackson, Bones sends five of her best "squinterns" on a "team building exercise" to see how many unidentified remains they can identify. One of the interns probes further into his bones and they deduce that the person died 10 days after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, on the 21st of September. They also deduce that one of his injuries was from the 9/11 attacks. Thanks to Booth's military knowledge, they find out that the victim fought in Desert Storm. Despite Angela's facial reconstruction, they are still unable to identify the man. Booth pulls some strings through his old contacts in the Army. He discovers that the man was homeless and had been seen at the Pentagon during 9/11. His injuries suggest he may have been "collateral damage" as a result of the plane crashing into the side of the building but the evidence still does not add up and they were still unable to identify him. Undeterred, Booth scours nearby homeless shelters with the man's photo, determined to seek justice for a fellow veteran, eventually identifying him as Tim Murphy. Back at the lab, the team continue working on the evidence to find out what happened during the last few moments of the man's life. He saved three people, with a severe injury that caused him to suffer for 10 days before his death. The episode has an emotional ending, with Brennan telling Booth that she was proud she didn't shed tears the day she was asked to dig up the remains of people on 9/11, and now she says that anyone of those people could have been Booth; she had no one that day, the episode ends with Brennan crying on Booth's shoulder.
- Temperance Brennan - Emily Deschanel
- Seeley Booth - David Boreanaz
- Camille Saroyan - Tamara Taylor
- Angela Montenegro - Michaela Conlin
- Jack Hodgins - T.J Thyne
- Lance Sweets - John Francis Daley
Interns of the WeekEdit
- Clark Edison - Eugene Byrd
- Arastoo Vaziri - Pej Vahdat
- Wendell Bray - Michael Grant Terry
- Colin Fisher - Joel David Moore
- Finn Abernathy - Luke Kleintank
"The light from one" - Ane Brun
"Walking on broken glass" - Annie Lennox
- When addressing the interns, Bones states that she chose them as they were her five best interns, suggesting that Daisy Wick is not as 'high-ranking' as the men.
- During the episode, all five interns reflect on their activities on 9/11; Fisher was caught breaking into his history teacher's desk to steal a test he hadn't studied for and ended up crying with the teacher when they saw the news, Clark was working at a coffee shop and still remembers the smell of burning food when the chef came out to watch with them, Finn was stabbed by his father with a pair of scissors, Arastoo was at morning prayers and had trouble believing in anything, and Wendell was with his aunt while his firefighter uncle never came home.
The FOX series BONES was recognized by the City of Los Angeles with a proclamation ceremony at LA City Council chambers at Los Angeles City Hall on Friday, Nov. 9. The City Council recognizes the show in general and specifically for the episode "The Patriot in Purgatory"
The Method in the Madness
The Bod in the Pod
| Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
Characters: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12
Categories: Main Characters · Relationships